This week the group of students participating in the Lego Robotics workshops attempted to program the robot to make its way through a small obstacle course. Even after many attempts and many measurements, no one was able to complete it. Maybe next week!!
The Sidney Library will host a Percussion Workshop from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, August 6th. Folks between the ages of 11 and 17 are invited to attend this outstanding workshop by local jazz musician, Marcel Smith. Get a free percussion lesson, maybe even play some music, and most of all have fun. Get the beat! Register in person at the library, on-line at sidneylibrary.org (click on the class registration link), or call 563-1200.
Jazz Trio Performance
If you like Jazz you won’t want to miss this outstanding performance by local jazz musicians at 6:30 p.m. on August 6th. The Marcel Smith Trio will perform in our Smart Community Room. Mr. Smith, on drums, will be joined by Chris Bakriges on piano and Rich Mollin on Bass to create some amazing sounds for your listening pleasure. Sponsored by the Friends of the Libraries, attendance is free for this one-of-a-kind musical treat. Don’t miss the music at the library.
Want to try out a Kindle or a Nook Color? We now lend them out already pre-loaded with lots of new and popular books. If you don’t see a book you are interested in, check back soon. We will add new titles periodically.
What’s on the Kindle?
- The Light Between the Oceans by M.L. Stedman
- The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls
- Inferno by Dan Brown
- TransAtlantic by Colum McCann
- Laws of Gravity by Liz Rosenberg
- Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
- The Hit by David Baldacci
- 12th of Never by James Patterson
- And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
- Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris
- The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win WWII by Denise Kiernan
Kindle Singles (short stories/novellas exclusive to Kindle)
- Guns by Stephen King
- Pros & Cons by Janet Evanovich
- Hydrofracked by Abrahm Lustgarten
- Bittman’s Kitchen: What I Grill & Why by Mark Bittman
- A Textbook Case by Jeffrey Deave
What’s on the Nook Color?
- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Mrs. Lincoln’s Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini
- The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health by T. Colin Campbell
- Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation by Michael Pollan
- Whisky Beach by Nora Roberts
- We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
- If You Were Here by Alafair Burke
- Crashed by Timothy Hallinan
- Always Watching by Chevy Stevens
- They Year We Disappeared: A Father-Daughter Memoir by Cylin and John Busby
- The Master of Disguise: My Secret Life in the CIA by Antonio Mendez
- The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo
Adult Summer Reading Program with Weekly Prize Drawings
How to participate:
Read a book
Write a short review (review sheets available at the Library Circulation Desk)
Have your name entered into a weekly drawing to win something from a local business
*Drawings will be made once a week. Keep filling out reviews until you win!
Thanks to the following businesses for donating prizes:
Video Entertainment Plus
Sidney Flowers & Gifts
Lesley Diehl and Glenn E. Nilson will be at the Sidney Memorial Public Library on Wednesday, July 17, at 6:30 p.m. to talk about and sign personal copies of their latest books. A Deadly Draught and Poisoned Pairings, by Diehl, are part of a microbrewing series set in upstate N.Y. along with Angel Sleuth (in ebook formats) set in the Catskills. Diehl will also talk about her Big Lake Murder Mystery series set in rural Florida. Murder on Route 66 (the first in the Bobby Navarro series), by Nilson, is set in New Mexico. Join us at the library for a brief presentation and book signing and meet the authors who live in Morris, N.Y.